Saturday, April 25, 2015

It Matters

A couple months ago Ty and I were discussing bedtime and the lack of routine we had going on. I suggested that we start singing a church song and saying a family prayer before I put Trey to bed, in hopes that eventually he'll take that as a sign that it's time to calm down and get ready to sleep.
 
 
We've been very consistent about it, even when we were out of town for almost 2 weeks, and I have loved it. It's really brought the spirit into our home, and I'm happy to sing reminders of simple but powerful truths: families can be together forever, the temple is a house of God, ...I live in a beautiful world Heavenly Father created for me.
 
 
I'm not sure Trey's having the same experience I am every night though. Most of the time he's bouncing on our legs and twisting around in our arms or trying to crawl off the bed. Sometimes he'll even start babbling during the prayer and afterwards we joke that he's trying to tell us that it was his turn to pray. I just keep reminding myself that it's all about consistency at the stage and that it'll eventually be worth it (essentially what I tell myself every Sunday as well).
 
 
But a few days ago, my perspective changed. We had decided to sing "I Know That My Savior Loves Me" and as always, Trey started out a little squirmy. And then he suddenly calmed down. And was watching Ty sing the words. And then, right as I was singing the words "I know he lives!" my boy looked right at me. Not in a "what's going on, mom" kind of way; it really looked like he was listening to what I was saying. And that's when it hit me. These things matter, and they matter right now.
 
 
Our days are full of changing diapers and eating new foods and learning to crawl and stand up. We go on walks and make messes and cheer when dad comes home and we snuggle and snuggle and snuggle. I feel like some days go by so fast and I'm not even sure what has happened in the last 12 hours, but at the end of the day if my son hears me say that I know He lives, it was a successful day.
 

 
It matters that he knows he has a Father in Heaven.
 
 
It matters that he is aware that he belongs to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
 
 
It matters that he knows the family is of God
 
 
It matters that he knows that Jesus wants us to shine for Him each day
 
 
And it matters that he knows that I know, too.
 
 
And if for now I can only bear my testimony to him in a fleeting moment and with only four words,
 
 
 
It still matters.  

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and true sentiment. I am glad that it matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does matter! I'm glad Trey has you for a mommy...I know you will continue to teach him what matters most! <3 You should make this post into a book for him. :)

    ReplyDelete